Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Party loyalty demands willful ignorance

The following is a letter to the editor of the Winnipeg Sun, as submitted on May 3, 2016.

___


I appreciate reader Bill Kushniryk taking the time to respond to my letter (Ramming through, May 2), even if he and I will have to agree to disagree on the extent to which winning a Federal election is a license to wield absolute power. The only aspect of his letter I feel compelled to correct is his notion that I have a favored party, Liberal or otherwise. While I am certainly political, I am no partisan. My personal motto is: "Ideals, not ideology". To swear an oath of fealty to any one party is to commit oneself to willful ignorance when that party betrays the public interest, and to offer oneself up for manipulation when party apologists come calling.

My loyalties are to my family, friends and community, and not to the conglomerations of vested interests we call "political parties".

James Deagle
Ottawa, ON

No comments:

Post a Comment